By The Grace of God - Fiona Williams


How often do we take for granted God's forgiveness and love for us, that without His grace we amount to almost nothing? We certainly do most of the time. I was reminded of this myself a few weeks back when one of the women (Fiona Williams) in my church spoke of one of her many beautiful poems. She's shared her poetry a few times with us but this one truly moved me and reminded me the sinner that I am but no longer because of our loving God. I will not expound on the topic further but rather present the poem to you and let you experience it yourself. Be blessed.

By The Grace of God

Sin,
The place where I exchange God’s gold for devil’s dirt
Where mortal lusts becomes Spirit’s hurt
Where battlefield armor lies cold on the ground
And disfigured words of the enemy surround.

 Sin,
The place where I forget what lies at stake
And my own will I make
The master of my fate
As if consequences were no more

I have fallen in battle
For not having fought
The way my Lord taught
And I lay a wounded solider sorry and sore
Having again fallen so short


Thinking how could my Lord forgive and still walk with someone like me?
But enemy hisses are silenced by resounding truth
It is written “seventy seven times seven”,
There is your proof.

“I have never stopped loving you
You are my child still
Now let me wipe the tears from your eyes
And call you forward as you to live according to my will”

So in blackened state
You wash me clean
By heartfelt repentance
And unmeasured grace
My scarlet sins are no longer seen

With grace so strong
It shook the world and tore the curtain in two
Your truth prevailed
The enemy assailed
As your amazing grace washes me through and through 

Thus, grace is the place
Where my shame surrenders
Its crippled form
And confidence stands tall
On prayer bent knees
Before the throne of God

Grace is the place
Where my salvation sings
And my soul rises where birds fly
As Your Holy Spirit declares:
That only by the Grace of God go I                                                                                          
                                                                                                   
Fiona Williams


Fiona has provided her email in case any of you would like to see more of her work. If you want to repost it, email her and let her know.


John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments