Progress and Learning

I’ve said that everyday I still discover a lot of things about my husband that I didn’t know before and early in our marriage but may I say that more than that I’ve discovered more about “me” than I have in the 42 years that I have been single.  I realize that I must have been a very stiff, strict, idealistic old maid virgin then (pardon me for saying that about myself but looking back, it seems so true). I realize that it seemed to me I knew all the answers and the right advices when the truth is, I really didn’t but I thought I did.

My marriage to Russell opened my mind somewhat; to a different understanding of the world, of others even of myself, from an idealistic “black and white” view to a more realistic “black and white and gray”. I haven’t changed my spiritual convictions but I have been more understanding and tolerant of people. For one I have come to understand men more. I suppose living intimately with one day in and out has a lot to do with it. Experience is the best teacher for sure.

We learn in different ways, from others,  by experience, discovery,  observation, absorption (of knowledge), acceptance of the truth. We even learn by making mistakes. We should only stop learning when we’re dead. Learning is part of growing and growth is progress. But to learn, one has to have an open and  teachable heart and mind. And in order to move forward in anything by learning we need to use and apply what we have learned.

The trouble is sometimes we refuse to learn. We see a glass half full because we have decided it is even if others have told us or even by our own observation, that it is half empty. So because we have decided it’s half full (because we’re stubborn, in denial or blind) we stop there when we can fill it up more (because it’s half empty)  to get more out of it. Our own refusal to be educated stunt our progress.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me – Phil. 4:13”… but even if there are things that are still out of our control, we leave that to the Lord but we also do our part. Nothing comes easy but whatever happens, keep on moving no matter how slow.

Learn, change, progress.


John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments