The Umbrella Man

Russell (my husband) had just got me out of the car and left me in the
chair to back the car in the parking. It started raining and an unofficial parking attendant swiftly ran to get his umbrella and put it over me. He was clad in stripped shirt and shorts and had a speech impediment. He tried talking to me but I couldn’t make out what he was saying at first but eventually made progress. He asked me if Russell is my husband, I said yes and got the reflexive “You’re lucky” reply. Lucky is an understatement. I am blessed! He asked me a few more questions but I just couldn’t understand them because of his speech problem. When Russell finally came around, he handed him some change before we went in the restaurant.

He was overjoyed by the reward of his labor. Usually, unofficial parking attendants get their few pesos when their client leaves the premises, after they’ve directed the traffic and help the customer get out onto the road but the “Umbrella man” got his in advance.

Now, we occasionally encounter self-volunteered parking assistants every now and then, in the hope of making a peso or two but what got to me was his determination to earn that peso or two instead of getting it for nothing. He could’ve used his handicap to sit in the street corner asking alms but instead chooses to work for his money.

I’ve been approached by a young woman while my husband and I were sitting in one of the food places in a mall, waiting for our order, demanding money from me. Her hand opened in front of me asking for money while clutching a burger and some change and peso bills in the other, claiming she got them from the previous person she approached. When I refused to give any, she got upset and called me heartless and hurled words as she passed by our table on her way out, as if it’s my duty and everyone else’s to provide for her and family.  We encounter beggars like this while driving down the road, people who seem completely able to work but prefer to just ask alms.

I know of men who would be too proud to hang around parking lots to do the sort of work the “Umbrella man” does,  they’d rather loiter the streets, hang out with bad influencing friends and do drugs or come home drunk. And when confronted with their wayward ways, whine and complain how unfair life is and how they deserve better.  They’re more disabled than those who really are.

Upon leaving the restaurant, and by now it has stopped raining and the sun is once again scorching hot, he was quick to give me shade under his umbrella one more time as Russell moved the car forward. As we drove into the main road, Russell stretched his arm out of the window to give him something, to his surprise he received a few more coins. He didn’t expect it but you could see the joy on his face. I didn’t expect my husband to give him anymore either, once would’ve been enough, it was generosity on his part but I think he was worth it. As we drove away into the busy main highway I heard him say “Ingat po kayo.” (Take care).

Well, we may never meet again and you might never know I have featured you here but God take care of you too “Umbrella man”. God bless you too as you have blessed me.

_________________


John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments