Is physical attraction important?

One of the first things I requested from my husband when our romance was first budding online was a video chat. I had known him for more than ten years, had seen a few pictures of him but some people are either photogenic or not. Some look good in pictures but not in person and vice versa. I wasn’t all that attracted to his pictures so I wanted more. I wanted to be sure that before I commit any further, that if we ended up married, that I will desire intimacy with him physically. And when we did our first video chat, he just grabbed me. I found him good looking and exactly what I like; and when I met him in person, there was definitely a physical attraction.

So yes, physical attraction is important but its significance varies individually. To some, it’s on the top of the list; it’s the first thing they notice, to some it’s on the bottom. Yes, the outside appearance is what we see first but a person may be good looking (and each of us have our own standards of what is good looking) but if he dresses inappropriately or come across as cocky, that affects the image. The physical attraction might be there and initially impressive, but diminishes soon enough.

Sometimes when a girl meets a boy, the physical attraction is already there and sometimes it develops later on. It depends on the individual, what’s important to her/him. To me, physical attraction is the last test to pass. I get attracted to a man of faith, that’s the first thing I look for and notice. He doesn’t have to be religious but I must see and prove that he lives by his convictions. Then there’s the character, intelligence, sense of humor and lastly, if I look at him and spend time with him and he brings out the wild in me, then we will connect very nicely but that’s me. To others it’s the other way around. Being good looking is number one on the list and the rest follows.

In my opinion, physical attraction should be there but it shouldn’t be the only thing that is keeping the relationship alive. Remember that beauty and the physical fades away but it’s the invisible, untouchable components of the relationship like respect, understanding, support, kindness and love that will last.

 Quoting Helen Keller, "The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." And I believe that that most beautiful thing is love.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments