The year that was different (2013 Highlights)

The year is ending once again. I can’t remember how many year-end articles I’ve written on this blog already. I started writing here in 2008; wow, that’s five years ago! I’m old. So much has happened and my life has dramatically changed from a boring spinster’s existence to an exciting and adventurous one of an expat’s wife.

I have done things I never thought I would do and gone to places I never imagined I can ever go.

So here’s a summary of the year that’s so different from previous ones.

FEBRUARY
After a year of absence, I decided to return and announce my new status. I got married! Did something I thought I’d never do or ever get the chance to but it did happen. Told you I did.

MARCH - APRIL
The third month of the year found me chasing legal papers and travel documents. I was embarking on a tour to Australia. Again, something no one, not even me ever imagined I’d do or have the opportunity to. The thought of government bureaucracy stressed me and I expected very negative results but found my fear was baseless and was surprised at the speed at which my papers were settled. My passport took only 12 days and my visa, 17. God be praised!

APRIL
My husband became involved in my church’s scholarship program in which I have been the secretary for five years now and his inclusion in the ministry helped me a lot. But when everything was almost perfect; my work in the church, my travel papers, I was suddenly stricken and was hospitalized for four days, went back and forth twice in the wee hours of the night due to excruciating pain. I had an ultrasound and CT scan which were not cheap and it stressed me so because our trip was coming up in three weeks and we were already booked to fly out. Thank God nothing alarming turned up on both and I recovered just in time for the departure.

MAY
I went ahead with the plan and flew for the first time! Who would’ve thought? I went to Australia with my husband and stayed there for three weeks. I met his whole family and friends, and even the penguins. What an adventure!

JUNE - JULY
A few weeks after my return to the Philippines, I started posting about my trip to the land of koala bears and kangaroos. A series I haven’t finished yet, I still have two more articles to write and post.

AUGUST
We celebrated our first year anniversary and in honor of the occasion I started a new feature on my blog.

OCTOBER - NOVEMBER
I went to see the ophthalmologist and had surgery on both eyes. I now have implant lenses and no longer wear glasses. I still might have to for detailed vision and short distance reading but other than those, I can see quite well without any.

NOVEMBER
The super record-breaking typhoon Yolanda hit the Philippines and put the country in the world map for the worse storm ever. Around 6,000 people died, missing and millions homeless. Once again, the resiliency of the Filipinos put to the test and we’re still standing.

DECEMBER
We’re chasing papers again for Russell’s permanent residency and the day after Christmas we received the good news that Russell’s probationary visa has now been amended to permanent! Thank you God! This year also saw the coming and arrival of our first granddaughter and we can’t wait to meet and spend time with her.


So that’s my 2013 closing credits for all of you to amuse yourselves with. It has been a wonderful, adventurous year for me. 2013 is waving goodbye, giving way to the new year. All the glory and praise to God!

A blessed, fulfilling 2014 to all! See you next year!

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments