SOVEREIGN HILL (Australia VI)

Nope, my Australian trip saga isn’t over. We still have four posts to go.

It’s Tuesday of my second week in the land down under and my sweetheart is taking me to a trip to Ballarat, an hour and a half drive to a place called “Sovereign Hill”. My husband has told me of this place even before we were married and hoped that someday he’ll be able to take me there. I remember him showing me the map and the promotional tour of Sovereign Hill, I never thought I’d actually be there myself.

Sovereign Hill is an outdoor museum in Bradshaw Ballarat. A gold mining town recreated in the 1850s, during the gold rush. From the outside it isn’t much but once you get through the ticket booth and through the back door (leading to the town) of the receiving building, it seemed like you’ve stepped back in time. Everything is 1850, the buildings, the cottages, the hotels, the steam machineries even the staff are dressed in the period. It’s truly a cultural and historical experience.

Our first stop was a recreated man-made creek where you could pan for gold and we did! You can buy these little bottles filled with water to put your tiny grain sized gold in.  Then you get a pan, shovel wash dirt from the bottom of the creek into the pan. Then wash the dirt off the gold. Lick your finger, put your finger on the speck of gold to pick it up and then put your gold in the bottle you’ve bought. It was 8 degrees that day so we didn’t last at the creek very long, water was cold but we did get our souvenir gold!




Then Russell took me on a walk in the main street and had lunch at “New York Bakery” where I had Tortillas. A watch shop was next to it and we went there afterwards. We went to the apothecary, church, wheelwright, theater, bowling alley, the single and double gable cottages, the hotel, bank, foundry, post office, the undertaker’s business, souvenir stores, candle factory and the shop where they have displays of gold artifacts and souvenirs and bought some mementos to take home.


Click to enlarge image


Before we left there was a parade of troopers dressed in authentic uniform complete with muskets. The sergeant drilled them that involved marching and presenting arms. And I had the privilege of taking a picture with them.




It was a whole day affair and I had such a great time! I was able to know more about Australia, We were able to talk to some of the volunteers (Russell used to volunteer also and wear a costume some years back) dressed in the period and learned how to fire a musket. I’ve not only taken pictures but I’ve also stories to tell of what I saw there.

SovereignHill” is certainly a place to see and experience. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be there.




John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments