THE SIZE OF THINGS (Australia III)

Russell took me to one of Australia’s iconic stores the day after I arrived. Having no car yet, we walked there on foot He said it was only ten minutes away. It took a few ten minutes.  I find Australians one of the most frank and honest people in the world but when they say it’s not far, don’t bet your life on it.

It was a huge warehouse where we found some of the stuff we can’t get in the Philippines. I had my first Australian shopping at BUNNINGS. On our walk home we dropped by a “fish and chips” shop and had lunch at one of the tables outside the shop. The fish were about a foot long and very tasty, and the chips (potatoes) were overflowing.

The evening had me in one of Russell’s favorite Italian restaurant in Melbourne, “BELLA” where the family gathered to have dinner. Russell recommended “Nanna’s” meatballs and that’s what I ordered. It being an entrĂ©e means the serving would be smaller or so I hoped. It wasn’t.

One thing I noticed over there, wherever we went to eat whether
we were invited to a friend’s or a family member’s house or went out for a meal, there’s always more on the plate. When we went to Churchill Island Visitor Center and had lunch there. I ordered for a “Shepherd’s pie” (lamb meat) I expected a decent sized pie that was on display and only that but when they served my order, it came with an overflow of fries and fresh veggie salad. BIG serving anywhere you go!

Everything there seems twice as big as I am used to, people, space, food. Australia has one of the highest cost of living in the world but just like the serving that you get from a pricey order, it’s  worth every cent.

Also read:

THE WAY TO FLY (AUSTRALIA)


17 DEGREES (Australia II)


John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments