17 DEGREES (Australia II)

What was my first impression of Melbourne? It’s cold! Well, from somebody used to “cold” being 24-26 C, a drop of 7 numbers down can be downright harsh. My husband did warn me of the climate this time of year over there and told me to bring my warmest jumpers (sweatshirts), I did and even shopped for socks and leg warmers but what do I know about proper winter clothing really, when what’s considered “cold” in my country IS NOT in kangaroo land? I thought “Nah, I can handle it, can’t be that bad.” I almost came home frozen.

We were picked up by my eldest step son from the airport and as we drove off to the city, we passed the industrial and business district as he pointed out the landmarks and note worthy places, clusters of buildings and business offices; Big, wide roads skirting through the vast flat land of Melbourne. We drove on a little bit more, into the suburbs and through the  "Domain" tunnel which is literally built under the "Yarra" river (I know, awesome huh?)  and the scenery  changed drastically, from concrete jungle to streets lined with trees, trees of different kinds and sizes, some in beautiful autumn colors, orange, red, yellow. The city transforms into a garden of trees with residential houses and spacious sidewalks added in. Melbourne  is a city of contrasts, in my heart, it's a beautiful place indescribable.

Traffic in Melbourne means there are other cars on the road. There’s continuous movement except on a red light. The cars stay on their lanes, not trying to take over each other. So there’s order, there’s discipline. This doesn’t happen in Manila, an unfamiliar sight indeed. That’s when it hit me, it finally sunk in, I was no longer in the Philippines, I was in a strange land where traffic rules are observed piously, and over there, I am the foreigner.




John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments

Kevin said…
I always laugh when my Filipino friends say "it's cold." Now you see why :)
Thess said…
Yes Kevin, I do. I realize, I never knew cold until I knew Melbourne.