Why Facebook

It was a girlfriend who first invited me to Facebook, way back before it was this popular. Yahoo was the main thing then so Facebook didn’t quite attract me.

Then a friend invited me to a ‘prayer partners’ group there. Finally, I succumbed and my virtual world was never the same again.

Found people
I found old friends there and relatives from far, far away and I keep finding more. I think it’s one of FB’s strong features. You can actually search for someone there and find results, and then message them through FB mail, their wall or just put up a provocative status message that will have all commenting, that’ll break the ice.

People read you
If you have a blog, FB can add to your traffic too. Just put a link there (at least come up with a catchy title) and people get curious and click. If one of them takes interest in what you write, you have a new follower.

if you’re not one who keeps a site for you thoughts, you can still share your view on topics you might fancy through FB’s “Notes” feature where you can write your opinions on certain things that caught your attention and tag people on your list that might have a say or two about it.

You can also promote your business, organization or movement on it. It’s free advertisement for you. You can create groups and fan pages.

Games
FB has lots of game applications where you and friends can be neighbors, team mates and such. I play this game there, after invitations won’t stop coming, and find almost all on my list is in it. Now they’re all my neighbors.

And I’m now addicted, the game has bandits like “Mommy & Clyde” and “Pie-faced Pete”, who can resist that?


Verifying people
I think this is for me, my favorite thing about FB. Anyone can say anything about themselves online. People can fake pictures and make up stories online, and some maybe telling the truth but someone on the other side of the world wouldn’t know. There’s nothing like an FB account where your personal friends and relatives are actively interacting with you on your wall (Facebook page), commenting and sharing stuff, verifying your story.

Note: Facebook, like any other social networking sites, doesn’t guarantee complete privacy but you have control of what you put in there, how much information about yourself you’re willing to share.

You can get hacked and your account stolen and used for malicious activities, there’s always that risk anywhere on the internet even with emails alone so we just have to be extra careful.

This is not a paid promotion. I posted this because whenever somebody sends me an email from other social networks who wants to be friends, I always ask them to either make an FB account or add me there if they have, and they wonder why, well, for reason number four. Now you know.


John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments