Anne Rice: My reaction

We’re all entitled to our opinions and beliefs and I am stating mine regarding the controversial ‘so called’ resignation of Ann Rice from Christianity.

Point 1
A quote from her:
"For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

First of all, being a member of an organized religion doesn’t make one a Christian. Following the teachings of Christ makes one “A Christian” AND NOT following a certain group or being a bonafide member of one or a church or else anyone can profess to be a Christian without really living and obeying what Jesus teaches.

Acts11:26
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

Point 2 
Another quote:
I didn't anticipate at the beginning that the U.S. bishops were going to come out against same-sex marriage," she says. "That they were actually going to donate money to defeat the civil rights of homosexuals in the secular society.
"... When that broke in the news, I felt an intense pressure. And I am a person who grew up with the saying that all that is needed for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing, and I believe that statement."
I’m not Catholic but I hold the same conviction about homosexuality and same-sex marriage. True that ‘all that is needed for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing’ and this is why Christian groups actively go against abortion, pre-marital sex, immorality, same- sex marriages.

Leviticus 18:22 

 " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Clearly the Bible states it stand on homosexuality and followers of Christ follows the teachings of the Bible regardless of whether it conforms with their opinion or not. God makes the rules, not man.
I understand that many churches have become too condemning to homosexuals that I too find wrong. Jesus died for all, straight and gay, and lesbians BUT the lifestyle (sex with same gender) is detestable. So hate the sin but love the sinner.
Point 3




Last quote:
"For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity.
To say that one will continue to be committed to Christ but will no longer be a Christian doesn’t fit together at all. Obviously Ms. Rice doesn’t know the true definition of the word “Christian” or at least, have a very shallow understanding of it.
Makes me think if she’s one of those who goes to church and think attendance had made her a Christian but I didn’t write this to judge or condemn, just reacting to some of the things she pointed out as reasons why she’s leaving Christianity.
I hope in the end that she would be true to her words that she’d continue being committed to Christ and may her search for the truth lead her to it.


"Jesus Christ loves you and died for you."

Comments

JLTan said…
I think your disagreement with Anne Rice's comment lie in the definition of the word "Christian". I think it would have read better for you if she said "average church-goer" or "people who follow a main-stream religious organisation" instead of "Christian".

I think her point about the church being a "quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group" remains true - to some extent at least. (I am sure that not the whold Church is like this.)

Anyway, my point on Facebook was that Paul wrote 1 Cor 11:17-34 to address these issues within the Church, long before Anne even started to feel this way.
Thess said…
Yep - she used "Christian" so I reacted.

I agree with her that many church groups tend to be quarrelsome but she emphasized on the issue of same-sex marriage, so I reacted to that too.

Thanks for taking time to read :)