The people of the "election 2010" (Philippines)


Alright, I’ve a confession to make; today (May 10, 2010) was the first time I’ve ever been able to vote since I’ve become eligible for it. It’s only been recently that senior citizens and people with disabilities have been prioritized and given special consideration in activities like these.

I’ve a valid voter’s ID but the last time I went to vote, I wasn’t able to because it required me to wait in line, go up to the third floor in order for me to cast my vote (no elevator). Today, I didn’t have to line up or go anywhere, my ballot was handed to me (with a Comelec representative present), had me sign something, did a thumb mark, then the indelible ink and it was done. At least in that aspect (regarding the welfare of disabled and the elderly) I’d say, the country is somehow moving forward (I noticed the school has ramps too).

Anyway, enough about me, this article’s more for the others there who were also very willing participants of this year’s presidential election.

The common people – Obviously, the Filipino still believes in the system and the process even though I’m so sure, many will cry of “cheating” after pronouncement of the winners. The multitude of people who showed up to vote shows the majority of Filipinos still have faith in the government and haven’t lost hope.

The elderly and the disabled – We’re no longer the minority group often snubbed in occasions like these. We can now be heard too and I saw a lot of elderly there. The provisions that have been made for us so that it’ll be easier for us to vote not only encourage us to exercise our right but also make us feel, we’re now counted.

The small time entrepreneurs – There were food stalls everywhere selling iced drinks and street foods (fishballs, boiled quail eggs). At least the poor benefit something.

The garbage collectors – I also see how the garbage collectors (many of our scholars’ family make a living collecting garbage) from the poorest can benefit from this. With all the sample ballots and liter piling up everywhere, they can just go over there and collect garbage to their heart’s delight (where in the world are the trash cans?), sell them to recycling centers and make extra money.

Whether the candidate we voted for become elected or not, OR the rightful victor gets to take office or not, we still should exercise our right to suffrage. At least, we didn’t just sit down and didn’t do anything. We hoped, we dreamed and WE DID SOMETHING!

Comments

Kevin said…
I'm glad you had a good experience with voting. I know there were a lot of concerns about the electronic voting but I was optimistic about it.
Thess said…
Well, there was a lot of complains about PCOS machines not working but when the results started coming in early and fast, I think I like this automated thing.

Thanks for dropping by...