The two people who will not be here this Christmas

Last weekend, two of our family’s long time friends went home to the Lord. One died from brain hemorrhage and only just a few minutes after we came home from his wake, we received another phone call informing us, a church mate who’s been suffering from cancer had also died.
--------------------


I’ve known these people since I was seventeen (that’s when I started in the ministry). Tatay Eladio Abellera passed away at 74 from hemorrhage he acquired after collapsing in the bathroom and hit his head. He’s dad to one of my closest girl friends and it was in their church I started teaching Sunday school, though we’ve moved to a different church, we continue to be good friends.

When I went to the wake and saw the old gang, it was just nostalgic, suddenly old memories come back of your younger days and fun I had with them, all his children (and one of them were being matched to me) are my chums and almost all his grandkids were once in my Sunday school.
-------------

Ate Vangie Ramos succumbed to cancer at 56. All her kids went through my Sunday school too (see how old I am?). I’ve seen them at play, go to highschool, college, and now they’re all professionals, one of them is married and I’m Godmother to his son. Although I can’t go to her wake, my dad will conduct a funeral service at the parlor on Wednesday.

So these two I’ve known almost half of my life. And it’s not easy to let go of someone you have known for long, and at Christmas time but death is something inevitable. And I can’t imagine the longing of these two families for their loved ones this supposedly ‘joyous’ occasion. But at least, we know they’re now in the presence of the Lord and isn’t that the most important thing in this life and the next?

So this Christmas, let’s be thankful for our families, our parents, siblings, in-laws, nephews, nieces, good friends. Be thankful that we’re not one of those who will be grieving for the loss of a loved one or far from home because of untoward conditions.

Just be grateful for what we have.

1 thessalonians 5:18 – In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus, concerning you (AKJV)

Further readings:

Comments