Online or offline dating: Which is safer?

I’m not a fan of dating sites although I’m not against them. Neither am I skeptic of long distance and online relationships. I’ve friends who’ve found the love of their lives through the internet and long distance correspondence and they’re happy.

I think both online and offline dating/relationships have their risks and both don’t guarantee true love. Let me share my own personal experience.

A cousin of mine invited me to a site a few months ago. The site isn’t exactly a dating site, depending on your use of it. And it wasn’t even two days yet and a bunch of males invited me to be friends with them already. One of them consistently sent me messages, asking for my number, and wanting to meet for coffee. It was a bit fast I thought but I liked the persistence and meeting would have been ok if in public, at least, you get to know if there’s attraction right away or there isn’t but something felt fishy.

So I had him call me on the phone first. The first thing I told him was my disability and my faith, and then came his confessions (probably got convicted because of my handicap – at least, you know he atill has a conscience.) that he is actually married with 3 kids (that explains the “It’s complicated” status).

Now, I don’t know if it was indeed conviction or loss of interest (I mean, it’s not like anyone would be excited to date someone in a wheelchair, not self-pitying here but being realistic) that got him to confess but just think if I were a walking woman, who went out to meet him, AND he liked me, he could’ve kept his real status secret for a while, until he can’t any longer. Let’s say, we won’t get to the point of being really intimate BUT I’d be in an adulterous affair without even knowing it.

So this is just one of the reasons why dating sites are a bit risky. Anyone can lie online. So, is dating offline then the best option? Not really, it’s just as risky and I’ll tell you on my next post, why. So watch out for the second part.

To be continued…

Comments