Choosing the right friends II

(The continuation…)

Not only do we need friends to lean on during the hard times, we also need ones we can trust. People we know have the best interest for us, whose words we can rely on to be true and honest even if they hurt.

Scenario 1
You have issues and you need to know you do…

Some friend: I think you’re ok, I accept you for who you are (I mean, I’ll just avoid you and talk behind your back).

Good friend: I need to tell you something but I want you to know I’m doing this because I care about you (And gently corrects)

True friends tell who you are and not make you believe you are who you’re really not. Though they take you for the person you are, they should also be honest with you if you have attitude problems and needs correction.

Scenario 2
Your friend finds out you’re being cheated on, fooled or sees you heading towards disaster…

Some friend: No, I don’t know about that (I mean, I do but you got yourself there, you find it out yourself, it’s your life)

Good friend: It’s not my affair I know but you have to know the truth. I don’t want you to get hurt even if you take it against me.

The truth hurt sometimes but you need to know. Friends who genuinely care won’t just watch while you head for disaster even if it would upset you.

Scenario 3
You told your friend he/she has issues or is wrong about something…

Some friend: what? You (curse words)! I will not change for you or for anyone! If you can’t take me for who I am, then forget our friendship. You can’t tell me I’m not perfect! (And I mean, I’ll gossip and tell others of your flaws too!)

Good friend: I understand. I’m glad you told me. I’ll think about it.

A true friend who trusts you and your judgment listens to your advices and correction though he/she might reason out at first, he/she would give your words a thought.

Scenario 4

You took offense from your friend’s words, action or decision and told him/her about it…

Some friend: It’s not my problem if you’re sensitive. I can’t be thinking of your feelings. Either you take me for who I am or not even if I’m offensive. (I mean, if you’re really my friend, you’ll take my abuses too.)

Good friend: Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. Alright, if that offends you, I won’t do it again to you or with you (at least).

True friends will never intentionally hurt you or not care about your feelings. True friends should not be that selfish to make you take abuse, physically, mentally, verbally or emotionally because they just have a tendency to. They’re to be support not the ones who will tear you down.

Whether we admit it or not, often, we listen more to friends than our own parents or relatives. So it’s important to choose ones whose intentions and hearts we can truly trust, friends with faith and sound judgment.

To be continued…

Further readings:
Choosing the right friends
Friends Part I

Comments

Sandy said…
True friends are with you through thick and thin, in spite of your faults; though honest enough to tell you something you might not want to hear.

Thanks for placing my ad, it's appreciated.

Have a good wkend.
Sandy
CPA Board Exam said…
I agree with you.. your friend are your greatest enemy's :)