Choosing the right friends

Friends are important, true friends. Unfortunately not all people surrounding us are good friends. There are the BIs (Bad Influences) and those whom we think are friends but really, let’s think twice. There are cases when friends are the only family we have and oftentimes they influence us more than anyone else. Choosing the right company (friend or peer) is just as important as picking out a lifetime partner.

Scenario 1:
You’ve met someone great and you’re just so excited to tell your girl friend about it and…

Some friend: Really? But does he like you? I mean don’t get your hopes up. (I mean, I’ll burst your bubble.)

True friend: Really? That’s great! It’s about time girl! Hope it works out well. I’m happy for you!

Scenario 2:
You got a promotion, a good deal, an offer of break through and…

Some friend: Are you sure it’s real? And if it is, are you sure you can do this? I mean it’ll require a lot from you. (I mean, you’re not as smart as me. It can’t be that good a deal, who’ll offer you that?)

True friend: That’s great! Go for it! You can do it!

A true friend will be happy when your happy and can’t wait to share the good news and celebrate it with you, not shove it aside or stomp on it, or make you feel like you shouldn’t expect anything good to happen in your life, not jealous of the opportunities and good things coming your way.

Scenario 3:
It didn’t work out with the guy you like and…

Some friend: Well, it happens. He just didn’t like you. Men don’t like being chased. (I mean I will judge you, you flirted.)

True Friend: Well, he’s not good for you anyway. You deserve better. It’s his loss.
Scenario 4:
Problems plague your life and you’re pouring out your heart and…

Some friend: UH, what? Oh. Ok. (I mean go on but sorry if I can’t say anything I really don’t care. But when I have drama, you better listen.)

True friend: Awww. I really don’t know what to say but you know what….I was in the same situation and (will comfort and encourage all the way)

True friends make us feel good about ourselves not put us down or find fault but encourages us with hope and love. Friends who are willing to listen and share our pain as well, not just the good times.

Scenario 5:
You’ve got yourself in trouble and you badly need help or talk to somebody…

Some friend: You know I’m your friend but I’m so busy, I’m sorry (I mean, I’ll find the time when I need you or something from you ok?).

True friend: I know I’ve been busy and I’ve not always been here but I heard you need someone to talk to so I’m here, tell me what’s wrong.

Real, good, lasting friends are hard to come by but when you do find them, they’re like treasures for life. They’re there when you need them and not only when they need you. They accept you for who you are and are not quick to judge.

To be continued…

Comments

Woman said…
Friends could lift us up or drag us down. That is why we should be discerning as to the company we keep.
Spiderbeavis said…
Sometimes a good friend is able to provide perspective we might otherwise lack. If you know their heart is in the right place in doing so, while we might think "some friend" at the time, likely we'll be thanking them for it later. Some of my best friends give me another side of things at those times when I'm not being as objective about something as I might. *hugs*
Thess said…
That's going to be my second part...lol. You've introduced it...-hug back-
Thess said…
To woman...

My point exactly.
Clever Elsie said…
You hit the nail on the head with this one. How often our own pettiness, selfishness, envy, etc. get in the way of our friendships! I've had people do this to me, and I have to admit that there have been times I'm not proud of that I've done this to other people. We all need to be vigilant about it.