Choosing the right friends (III)

(Second to the last)

Bad influences

We pick up the bad habits of friends. Even when we didn’t agree or like them at first, in time, we start picking them up, get convinced they’re alright and start joining.

Scenario 1
You have problems at home or your relationship got broken up…

Some friend: Let’s paint the town red and get drunk (or) I know where we can get cheap weed, I’m telling you, you’ll forget all your troubles once you get high, trust me (or) forget about him/her, I know someone who can really give you a good time
(I mean, let’s get wasted, I don’t care.).

Good friend: We’ll pray for it. Don’t make rushed decisions while you’re upset (someone told me that and so thankful he did). I’m with you, hang in there.

True friends doesn’t teach or lead you to vices but would want you to live a healthy clean life and helps you make the right decisions. True friends would aspire to give you long term solutions rather than short ones

Scenario 2
You had a conflict or got hurt by someone physically or emotionally…

Some friend: Let’s make him/her pay. (I mean, vengeance is ours!) We won’t kill him; we’ll just beat him/her up enough to teach him a lesson not to mess with you again.

Good friend: Maybe you can just avoid him/her. Do it the legal way, bring him/her to court (or) just avoid his/her company. Forgive and give him/her a second chance (depending on the case)

True friends help you not to hold grudges and free yourself from bitterness. They’re not supposed to turn you into a vigilante, taking matters into your hands. The motive behind the vengeance may seem okay but still it isn’t right and could lead to bigger problems.

Scenario 3
The problem with having friends not with the same faith, you go to church every Sunday or likes to attend activities at church but your friends don’t...

Some friend: Oh c’mon. You’ll only be missing church a few times, don’t be such a chicken…bok, bok, bok
…(I mean, I’ll tease and call you names ‘til you give in and compromise, I know I’ll convince you.)

Good friend: How’s your devotion?
(I mean, I care about your Spiritual life.)

We can’t just be friends with those in same faith, we should also be open to friendships with those who have a different belief and although we can discuss our faith with them, there should be mutual respect for each other’s faith.

Being the Christian friend, we ought to be the one to overcome and influence and not the other way around. Even so it’s still important to walk in the company of good friends with good habits.

To be continued…
Further Readings:

Comments