She loved the unloved

One of the questions in a tag list I had to do at facebook asks “To whom was I named after?” Well, I was named after a woman who was known as ‘the living saint’ when she was still alive, Mother Teresa (only mine has an “H” – Theresa). I didn’t like my name to be honest, I preferred Katherine or Jennifer. It was my aunt’s suggestion and my mom’s constant reminding of living up to that name wasn’t helping.

I grew to really dislike it until I studied Mother Teresa’s life.


Born Agnes Bonjaxhiu Gonxha in Skopje Macedonia on August 26, 1910 and died September 5, 1997. During her life, she was known as the living saint.

Mother Teresa's work has been recognized and acclaimed throughout the world and she has received a number of awards and distinctions, including the Pope John XXIII Peace Prize (1971) and the Nehru Prize for her promotion of international peace and understanding (1972). She also received the Balzan Prize (1979) and the Templeton and Magsaysay awards. She also received the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize.

She lived with the poor, the lepers, the unloved and castaways. She spent all her life serving the Lord through serving people and caring for them until she died. Now she and I may differ in beliefs and would probably disagree on major doctrines but she sure was one very unselfish woman who dedicated her life to the cause of the less fortunate and the sick, a saint in her own right.

I still don’t like my name but I am honored sharing it with an incredible woman who was dedicated to serving others!

It’s the “love” month; why not get into some philanthropic projects or activities that will express God’s love through us? It doesn’t necessarily mean something that will cost us money, maybe our time, effort, anything from the heart that only wants to give.

Comments