A Reaction

(Why the seemingly good guys don’t get the real good ones.)

Uh oh, here comes my unsolicited reaction to an article written by a fellow blogger entitled “Nice guys still finish last” or something that sounds like that (Hey I just plugged his site didn't I?).

I confess to having had to deal with this subject a lot this week and I think I’m starting to get mental a rash from it so here’s my unwanted, unpopular, blunt and reckless, take on it:

The good men who get their hearts broken by the women who chooses lesser men have no one else to blame but themselves. Most likely, they’re the kind that puts more emphasis and value on the outer looks of a woman rather than what’s inside, so they tend to fall for the kind that tends to choose and pursue the ‘idiots’.

I mean, I’ve never heard of a good guy who complained he got burned or dumped by an ‘ugly betty’. It’s always the ‘pretty chick, the popular girl, the home coming queen”. It doesn’t matter if she ever uses her head when making decisions as long as she has the smile of Angelina Jolie (now there’s a pretty girl).

Don’t we attract what we are? “Like attracts like”, quoting from kuya Kevin’s article – “The universal law of attraction”. So if we chose someone who chooses badly, what does that say? We don’t choose well either. So if we choose someone who doesn’t make wise relationship decisions, 98 % likely, we are also making a bad one choosing that person.

We’ve all made bad choices, including the ones we’ve hurt by choosing us also. Sometimes the nice guys only get what they deserve, they get treated the way they treat the ‘not so attractive’ in the society. They’re usually just ‘nice’ to the good looking ones.

The nice guys finish last because they can’t tell which one is really worth running with.

Comments

Kevin said…
Thess,

I always value your opinion, but I think you are oversimplifying and overspiritualizing things.

You seem to be arguing nice guys get "burned" because they choose pretty girls. Sorry, but it just isn't that simple.

Both men and women can be guilty of putting too much emphasis on physical attraction. But we can't pretend that attraction is a non-factor. This is neither practical nor biblical.

Nice guys and nice girls get hurt. But it isn't always connected to attraction.

Just my two cents. Keep blogging :)
Anonymous said…
Kevin,
Ok, I might have gone overboard a bit but I don't thin I'm overspiritualizing.

My point is that, I don't see any reason why nice guys get burned except when they choose the wrong kind of girl. Often choosing pretty chicks without substance, just for their looks. If the girl has deeper values, why would she choose an idiot over a nice guy? I mean, who doesn't want a nice guy? Only a no-brainer.

It's the same as a woman choosing a predator over a protector. Often the good ones are left to settle for the predators because the protectors are all running after the pretty chicks who doesn't even pay them attention, the chicks who tend to fall for the jerks.

So it boils down to - Guys choose well also, put character above face value.

Thanks for reading. Peace