Fifth graders!

Here’s the second class I tutor every Saturday morning. The math troubled bunch.


The kids arrive at around 8:30 AM in my house, often I’m still having my breakfast. We set the time early because some of them help gather ‘kanin baboy’ (pig feeds – composed of left over and spoiled food from neighbors) for their pig or a neighbor’s swine and get paid. Some, like Leo, help family collect garbage for money so we don’t want the tutoring to get in the way of the responsibilities they already carry before the scholarship. So I hurry my first meal and have my coffee while teaching.

We were supposed to take advantage of the school break first week of November and meet during the weekdays but I was sick and couldn’t talk for more than a few minutes so we had to cancel.

I’m usually still half-asleep when we start but once they get their pencils and scratch papers to take notes from what I’m about to teach, I get all motivated, and more when I see their eyes and faces lit up when they score in our review quizzes.

When we started, Leo couldn’t even do a simple 3-digit subtraction and now he is doing long divisions, and we’ve only had a few sessions. These kids are brighter than we expected. They really just needed to be followed up in school.

There are 8 new volunteer tutors that will start soon so that is GOOD NEWS! God is good!

We’re done by 11 am and so is my coffee.


Comments

Ms. Kei said…
Such a wonderful deed to start the weekend. ^_^ I am proud of you and I am sure so as your students!

(hugs)
Thess said…
Thank you. It's a very rewarding experience.

Hug