Women and promiscuity

Mom was having her siesta (afternoon rest) and I was waiting for my painting to dry, and we just finished watching one of those afternoon soaps in the local channel that have an adulterous theme (Just wait till I write my reviews on them!), when out of the blue, she asked this thought-provoking question – “why is it such a bigger deal when it’s the wife committing adultery compared to the husband doing it?”

It was a good question and I had a ready and simple answer in my head but putting it into words was a bit of a challenge (you know, one of those instances when you want to say something but can’t quite mouth it? Like the one I’m having right now). But I did try.

I think that, even in our modern world today, women are still perceived as the more virtuous gender, and are expected to act and live like one, putting us in a better light than the men concerning this aspect.

I mean, think about it; when a guy or a husband cheats, or sleep around, people just shrug their shoulders and are almost quick to say – “Well, he’s a guy, what do you expect?” OUCH! Now, that must hurt, being always seen as the wicked, evil specie that can never be trusted, as if nothing really good or right can be expected from them. I’m sure the guys resent that (They’ve feelings too you know).

When a woman does the same, people are almost more than willing to hang her upside down, call her all sorts of degrading names, stone her to death. Why? - Because women are still perceived as faithful (thank God), chaste and morally upright. So when one crosses the line, everybody gets shocked.

I don’t understand why we, women, would want to change that. Why would we want to compete with the guys when it comes to sexual immorality? What will that prove? That we’re just as bad, can’t be trusted and cheap? Is that the image we’d want? And then demand respect?

Wouldn’t we rather society react indifferently to us for something we’ve done immorally because we’re held in high regard than be looked down on and have people smirk and say – “Well, she’s a woman, I’m not even surprised!” ? Now wouldn’t that hurt?


Further readings:
For women: Quote from Danielle Crittenden



Comments

Anonymous said…
I think one reason it is a worse offense in the general scheme of things is because women are responsible for "the family womb". Until recently, it was only her word that determined paternity of her pregnancies, unless the proclaimed father can prove otherwise. So her betrayal seems more because her crime is not just of her marriage, but of her body's sanctity.

Back to what (historically) the culture considers the male role (to support his family) and the female role (to procreate the family).
Kevin said…
I agree with you here, Thess.