Friends (Part III)

Friends in-love? (NOT “MU”)

Couples who’ve been married for years, when asked the secret of their long lasting relationship, often say the same thing – “The secret is friendship. They’re friends.”

Some rule out romance in friendship; that you shouldn’t fall for a friend. Come on, let’s be realistic, don’t it all start with being friends?

Wouldn’t it be nice to end up marrying your friend (NO – the result isn’t a platonic marriage- haha)? Someone who has fallen for you because he/she discovered the person you are in the friendship? Someone who has accepted you for who you are even if you don’t agree on everything and your hair is afro in the morning? Someone you won’t have to impress anymore? Someone you can be yourself with? Of course, it would.

I think awesome relationships can develop from friendships that started out platonic.

BUT – what if only one party develops the feeling and didn’t become mutual? Well, sadly, it happens, whether with a friend or not. There’s always that risk every time we meet another single person of the opposite sex.

So go on and make many friends, enjoy all equally till you meet the one who can be “buddy and more” at the same time.

Comments

Clever Elsie said…
Hi! Thanks for stopping by at Singletude!

This is an interesting topic. I agree that being friends first is a fantastic foundation for a relationship. I wish that people weren't so eager to define their male-female relationships immediately.

On the other hand, you're right about unrequited love. So often, male-female friendships develop in that direction for at least one member, and even when they don't, I find that these friendships often fall by the wayside when one or the other starts dating somebody else.

I notice that you're a Christian. In Christian circles, I've heard a number of people argue that men and women shouldn't even BE friends without declaring some sort of intention towards each other, primarily so that the woman doesn't feel emotionally used later on. Do you have any thoughts on that? I think there's some merit to it (especially since I'm a woman! :), though in another way, it's kind of forcing things.

Anyway, as a single person, I tend to think about this subject a lot, so I'm going to read the posts I missed in this series, too!

Btw, would you be interested in doing a link exchange? I'm always looking for other single bloggers to add to my blogroll!
Thess said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thess said…
Yes. I'm a Christian and what I write here not only represents issues tackled from a woman's point of view but from a "Christian woman's" point of view.

I think there's nothing wrong with men and women being friends whether there's intention of anything or not. Read my series on "Dangerous Assumptions Part I-IV".

Yes. you can add me to your blogroll. It'll be my pleasure. Thank you for coming over. God bless! =)
Anonymous said…
I think that a good marriage begins with both a spark and an unshakeable friendship.