Friends (Part II)

Can platonic relationship work?

According to Wikipedia – Platonic relationship, in its modern popular sense, is a non-sexual affectionate relationship. A simple example of Platonic relationship is a deep, non-sexual friendship, not subject to gender pairings.

Is it possible for a man and woman to be truly close but never develop romantic feelings for each other? Can it work?

Many might disagree with me but yes, it’s possible and can work. I have guy friends that I care about that are like brothers. I feel their pain when they’re lonely but will also be just as happy if they met someone they like. Just because I’m not in a relationship with them it means I’d care less or that because I’m in a close friendship with them it means I want to be with them that way either. And I’m so sure they feel the same way about me too.

I noticed that men prefer same gender inner core of friends (correct me if I’m wrong) while women would at least want one male in the circle of close women friends. I’m not sure but I think it’s because it quenches our thirst for a big brother in the group (or maybe we feel safer if there’s one – not really sure).

I think it’s healthy to have close friends from both sexes. We learn from them and about them. And let’s admit it, even in friendship, there’s that slot that only the opposite sex can fill up, questions only the opposite gender can answer.

Platonic relationship becomes difficult only when one in the friendship starts falling for the other. Not a crime but this could either hurt it or take it to the next level of happiness.

To be continued…

Comments

Clever Elsie said…
I wish I had the same kind of success with my platonic friendships that you've had with yours! Sadly, I've found that most of my guy friends drift away when a girlfriend enters the picture. It's wonderful that you've been able to form friendships with the opposite sex that transcend romantic entanglements! :)
Thess said…
Well elsie, that's expected from guy friends. Of course, once they've found someone they like or love, they'd want to spend more time with them but it doesn't mean they stop being your friends.

I even had guy friends who got married and continuedto visit me and exchanged mobiel numbers, of course, I have to be more careful then cuz there'll wives who cna get jealous.