A comparative study

(5 love languages follow-up)

First, I want to thank all who prayed for me to get better, still having slight headaches and faint chest pains but doing better. Thanks to all who took the quiz as of this writing, Churchie, Karen, Spider, Arnel and kuya Sandy!

Women - When I first took the quiz in 2006, I expected to score high in ‘words of affirmation’. A girl friend of mine expected the same but when she tried it again, found her preferences changed. We thought it so because women are into words. It’s not official unless spoken, written down or heard audibly. To us, phrases start things (commitment, courtship etc.) or end them. We love poems, stories, song lyrics etc. So it’s sort of surprising ‘words of affirmation’ only ranked second, even fourth in our quiz results. Does this show then how little we really know ourselves, that more than ‘words’, there are other ways we find affirmation of love we’re not aware of?

Men – The men who took it scored high both in ‘quality time’ and ‘physical touch’. Some were even bilingual (two languages with same score), showing both languages are equally important to them. Could be that physical touch is quality time to them too. I noticed their results placed ‘words of affirmation’, third. You wouldn’t think ‘words’ are important to them too would you? I didn’t. I thought ‘acts of service’ would weight more. Does this mean then that we, women do not really know them, that there’s more to them than we see?

This is only a small scale comparative study. This post is based on only 6 results of 6 people who’ve done the quiz so far. The women’s ages were 23, 38 and 55 – two single women and one who was married before; the men, 37, 38 and 45 – two singles and one married.

There was one common language that we all scored high in – ‘quality time’. I suppose whether young or old, no matter the age, gender or status, we all need bonding moments with someone, whether it’s with family, friend, God (a must!) or that special person, no one can be completely alone forever. And so we need to fellowship with one another, importantly, with GOD.

Note: this is not an official study, just me being discursive.

Comments

Ms. Kei said…
I'm surprised too with my result. I am expecting 'Words of Affirmation' to rank first but it didn't. It just ranked third actually.

I find myself after people's compliments most of the time. But maybe spending quality time with a person, whether talking or not, is what matters more to me than receiving compliments. ^_^
Thess said…
Looks like we all do. :)
Kevin said…
I didn't do the test, but I'd say physical touch and quality time are my main love languages.
Anonymous said…
hi thess,
Honestly, siguro dahil lalaki ako kaya mataas ang physical touch. I guess that's where most men fail. Kulang kami sa words of affirmation ourselves. (If the case study would be based on what women would expect from us) (",)
Thess, you got a very nice blog here. Iba ang atmosphere/ spirit na-sense ko... it is good!
God bless yah!
Thess said…
God bless din po kuya.