Legally waved

I don’t know why we always want or get obsessed with what we don’t have, and spend our lives trying to get it, and in the process fail to see and appreciate all that we already possess.
…..
If there’s one of many things women won’t be able to live without, that would be the ability to change hairstyle. Good thing there’s no such thing as handicap hair or a girl would rather die.

We rarely dye our hair a different color to look better in the Philippines. For us, there’s nothing like hair as black and shiny as the night. If ever we do, only to hide graying hair or for attention, add highlights and color, more for fun than to enhance appearance.

Our issues are more on the length and state of the hair itself. We can’t stay permanently curled or permanently straight, permanently short or permanently long. There seems to be always an obsession to change how it falls over the shoulder. If your hair is long and straight, you have to have it frizzled or try big curls, if it’s curly and wavy, have it treated to make it perfectly straight.

I’m legally waved (not legally blonde), my hair is neither curly nor limply straight. It has a mind of its own and just bounces off wherever it wants to. And like any other Filipina who at times, just doesn’t know exactly what she wants with her hair, I thought I’d try a new look – CURLS.

To cut the story short, my brother, who’s discovered his feminine side when he got married, was more than willing to perform one of his femininely talents on my crowning glory. And since we were in the middle of a typhoon and church’s been cancelled, what better thing is there to do than play parlor? So Jenny got her rollers and started, patiently worked on my hair, roller after roller. Then my brother, grinning ever so took over and hair sprayed with delight.

I wheeled around the house for hours wearing what looks like batteries on my head, all for the sake of a curl. They suggested I wear them to bed but not doing that, NO. So in the afternoon, we painstakingly took them off, painstakingly indeed because of the stiffened hairspray.

I couldn’t wait to see and got lost when I saw. Where are the curls??? We looked for them on my head but either they fell out or straightened up already. It worked on my sister-in law’s hair but wouldn’t on mine. Apparently, my hair’s hardheaded. Was frustrated but then I thought, so what if I can’t have curls? At least I’m not bald.

------ In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you 1 Thessalonians 5:18 -------

Comments