Basta Lovelife (Book Review)



The book is entitled “Basta Lovelife – Making wise relationship decisions”. The author, Kevin Sanders, is a missionary to the Philippines who is in the campus ministry at the University Belt. To most, he is kuya Kevin.

I rarely do book reviews because I rarely finish one but this I did and enjoyed it to the last page. And here’s why:

· It’s an easy read. You don’t need a dictionary to decipher the words; in a country where English is only a second language, that’s a very important consideration.

· It’s so “Filipino” . Well, it was written for the young single Filipino and I think have been successful in that. It addresses the relationship problems of our youth today even our adult singles.

· It’s Biblical. It tackles some controversial topics such as “SAME SEX” and “LONG DISTANCE” relationships, and COHABITATION (Living-In) etc. discreetly but strictly based on what the Bible says about them or WHAT IT DOESN’T. So that makes it honest. It also addresses one of the critical issues often overlooked, neglected, or just simply brushed off in our society today – “PURITY and PROMISCUITY” among single people, youth or otherwise.

· It’s short and concise. The chapters do not go around beating the bush. No unnecessary illustrations that often do not help but only confuse the reader.

· It’s Gender Friendly. Caters to single men and women alike regardless of age and beneficial to both.

· It’s NOT BORING! The book talks to you like a big brother, serious but entertaining. One of my favorite line is and I quote “Let’s get basted” (pg. 119 BASTED: Overcoming Rejection).

· It’s handy. It’s lightweight and easily fits even in the small compartments of your backpack or bag. Take it anywhere, read it while on the bus, on the way to school or office, during break etc. Make better use of your idle, waiting time and read a book.

There, seven reasons why you should get this book. For yourself, your teenagers, girlfriend, boyfriend, your ate (big sister) and kuya (big brother). Get a copy!

Comments

Kevin said…
Thanks so much for your kind review! I've posted it on my blog.
Thess said…
your welcome. it's deserving
ate joy said…
Glad to read a simple and favorable review of kevin's book from another blog. i'm the editor. what do you write? - joy
Anonymous said…
thank you joy for visiting, I'm honored that an editor came to read my review. I don't write professional but I do have a collection of poems and short stories I wrote, myself ...and of course blogs.

God bless you.
Ms. Kei said…
i just got my copy yesterday from the author himself, kuya kevin! (^^,)

i am almost done with the half of the book..hehe
Thess said…
cool karen! Great read huh? Hugs!
Ms. Kei said…
I like reading books and receiving this book from the author himself makes it unique from all my 'reading experiences' ^_^

Medyo 'dyahe' nga eh..hehehe
(conscious ang lola..haha!)^^,

Now, I am looking forward naman of meeting you ate thess in person..hehehe

Godspeed!
Thess said…
I would LOVE to meet you in person Karen. sige, arrange natin.

email mo'ko sa blessthess@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
Hi Ate,

It's good to know that there are some people like you and Kuya Kevin who inspires us through your blogs. I also love reading interesting books and I already read the book of Kuya Kevin from cover to cover, I told my father to buy one for me. I would like to have my own copy again because my ex-bf doesn't want to return my book. I gave it to him after we broke up. I told him to return it back when he finished reading it but he's so kulit, sa kanya na lang daw yun hehehe. We're still friends and I'm glad because he said that he liked the contents of the book. Gusto nya na daw si Kuya Kevin =) I know, the book will be a big help for him in making wise relationship decisions the next time.

I also like to meet you sana and Kuya Kevin maybe before end of this year because I'm planning to come back in the Philippines even for a short vacation.

Thanks! May God bless u infinitely.


-=Yet=-
Thess said…
I am looking forward to that "Yet" and hope that when you do return for a vacation,we'll get to meet.